Wednesday, April 17, 2013

John J. Guiney Yallop, PhD

Acadia University, Wolfville NS Canada

Philosophy statement:
I write poetry to get closer to an experience, to bring me and the reader or listener into an experience, to live the experience, to even understand, emotionally, intellectually, physically and spiritually, the experience.

Art Form: 
I’m a poet. I use poetic inquiry as my form of research, to discover or create as well as to represent. 

Why did you choose that art form? 
As a young man, I wrote poetry to understand my emotions, to get them outside of me where I could see them. Later in my life, I wrote less poetry. When I started my doctoral dissertation, I reawakened the poet.
This is the cover of my book Of Place and Memory; it is based on my doctoral research,
and is available from the Acadia University Bookstore.
How did you find out about the ABRN?
Since coming to Acadia University in 2008, I’ve wanted to start an arts-based research group. The invitation to have coffee with Cathy Morley, shortly after she arrived at Acadia, was inspiring and energizing. With Cathy and two other members of the Acadia University community (Laurie Dalton and Paula Rockwell), I am delighted to be one of the founding members of the Arts-based Research Network.

What inspires your work? 
Life inspires me.

Why did you choose to present your research findings using an art form?
Why not? When I do research, I pay careful attention to what I’m doing. I listen for what needs to be said. Most often what needs to said by or through me comes out in poetry.

What have you observed about the reception of your work?
Audiences have responded to my writing with tears and laughter. Some have sighed with relief. Some have squirmed in discomfort. I recall one gasp.
This is the cover of a collection of poetry I wrote based on research about my maternal grandmother after discovering that she was Aboriginal. It was a Limited Edition and is not available for sale.
What has being involved in arts-based research taught you?
By being involved in arts-based research, I’ve met some incredibly wonderful people who have taught me a lot about research, about the world and about myself. Mostly, I’ve learned that I have a lot to learn. 

What is your hope for the ABRN?My hope for the Arts-based Research Network is that it reaches out to and embraces everyone; I want people to know it’s a network, not a club.
This is the cover page of my chapbook, written as part of my journey through prostate cancer diagnosis, surgery and recovery. It is available from The Box of Delights Bookstore in Wolfville.


No comments: